Less is More {book recommend!}

1.27.2014

 I picked up a book at the library, Less is More (by Andrews/Urbanska), that is a compilation of essays on Simplicity. It's not a profound concept written, but reading this book urged me in the direction of writing about a simpler life again using some quotes from the material.

And it introduced me to Thoreau. I've obviously not had enough Thoreau in my life. (Currently catching up on a few of his books and essays!)
 
source
Here's a quote from the preface:


 “What do people involved in the Simplicity movement do? 
Usually people have focused on individual actions: reducing 
spending so they can work less and have more time for the things 
that are important to them. Thus, a life with less – less work, less 
stuff, less clutter – becomes more: more time for friends, family, 
community, creativity, civic involvement. Less stress brings more 
fulfillment and joy. Less rushing brings more satisfaction and 
balance. Less debt brings more serenity. Less is more.”



As I read this book, I was struck with how the gospel corresponds to so many ideas (and ideals) of living life with sustainability, stewardship and simplicity. The quote above reminds me of John's gospel quote (3:30) "He must become greater; I must become less." It's not the same context, but the concept is brilliant. A life with less stuff leaves room for community. A life with less of me, leaves more room for Him. Ironic, I know. A paradox that still baffles me sometimes.

Materially, less is more. 

Spiritually, less is more.

_______________________________________________________________
(... it's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one thinking about, writing about or trying to live this out ... check this recent blog post out - it's good!)

Check out my previous series on simplicity: living simply, decluttering, repurposing, food, time, conclusion

No comments:

Post a Comment